The Academic Affairs subcommittee examined this suggestion and found extensive efforts in this regard, for example:
- The College of Engineering has well attended monthly faculty meetings to share and discuss successful implementations of successful pedagogical approaches.
- The ITS Office of Teaching, Learning and Technology (OTLT) has an annual workshop (4CAST) in January to share the latest advancements. This last year focused on Bridging Art and Science: STEAM Education in the Digital Age.
- OTLT long-term consultations and programmatic support (Big Ideas) that encourage and support evidence-based best practices in teaching as well as assessment of their implementation at Iowa
- Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) collaborations between instructors and OTLT staff, often related to instructors’ requests for support in course design and delivery
- The ITS Office of Teaching, Learning & Technology also provides other workshops, training sessions and discussions during the year. With registrations of greater than 2,000, there is broad impact from these activities.
- The CIO annually awards $100,000 to faculty for innovative instructional projects through the Academic Technology Advisory Council’s Innovation in Teaching with Technology Awards. http://its.uiowa.edu/itta
It is recommended that the Office of Teaching, Learning & Technology continue to support these efforts and increase awareness of activities that help faculty explore innovative approaches to teaching.