The Path Forward – Operations Team met on Monday, June 6, 2016 at 9:30 a.m. in room B5 JH. Team members in attendance were: Rod Lehnertz, Bruce Harreld, Tom Rocklin, Carroll Reasoner, Don Szeszycki, Don Guckert, Kevin Ward, Steve McGuire, Erin Brothers, Elesa Wedemeyer, Alec Scranton, Ron Weigel, Georgina Dodge, Steve Fleagle, Terry Johnson, Anh Ngo, Keith Saunders, Peter Matthes and Ted Yanecek. One guest was in attendance: Diane Slusarski.
The minutes of the May 3, 2016, meeting were distributed along with the June 6 meeting agenda.
- Academic Affairs – Alec Scranton reported his sub-committee had reviewed several issues raised by the Student Advisory Committee (SAC) as well as issues referred to OT by the SIT. He noted it was at times difficult to fully understand the precise issue being raised in the SAC report without additional clarification (an issue raised by other sub-committees as well).
- Diversity & Inclusion – Georgina Dodge updated the OT on training discussions occurring on campus among various interested organizations.
- Parking – Terry Johnson distributed a report from his sub-committee. It has met three times since the last OT meeting and has held discussions with the Iowa City Parking and Transportation as well as the chair of the UI Charter Committee on Parking and Transportation.
- Health & Wellness – Steve McGuire reported on meeting with Barry Schreier, Director of University Counseling Service and the establishment of a new sub-committee on student mental health. Steve distributed material prepared by Barry which provided an overview of the subject matter. There was also discussion regarding “on-boarding” of graduate students – a potential issue for this sub-committee or student life to address.
- Safety on Campus – Carroll Reasoner reported on additional discussion she and the sub-committee have had regarding UIPD presence on the West Campus, lighting (safety) issues, as well as the inclement weather policy and the use of HawkAlert.
- Student Life – Tom Rocklin distributed 2 issue documents – one dealing with Student Mentoring and the other with student placement tracking.
- Sustainability & Facilities – Don Guckert reviewed 3 issue: student gardens, UI sustainability goals and gender inclusive restrooms.
- Communications – Ted and Rod reported on continuing efforts to develop the Path Forward web page.
The Team meeting adjourned at 11:05 a.m.