Students would like to see continued efforts to improve mental health support on campus.
Specific issues to consider:
- Hiring counselors with diverse backgrounds and identities
- Expand the embedded counselor model, including a second counselor in the residence halls
- Training staff and faculty to respond to student mental health concerns
- Create a peer-to-peer counseling program that equips students to respond appropriately to mental health concerns they see in their friends
- Continue working to reduce UCS wait times
- Provide formal support to students attempting to recover from substance abuse and addiction
- Stay on track to hire 8 new counselors by 2018.