The current salary and compensation paradigm is causing disengagement of staff from the core mission of the University due to preoccupation with career related concerns.
There is a disparity of effort/performance vs compensation due to:
- funding differences between budgetary units
- differing metrics of performance
- regulation (grant funding work restrictions)
- salary compression
- continuing reliance on the previous internal equity system vs market conditions
- fear of impact of FLSA implementation
This has led to increased internal movement between departments and leveraging external offers for salary match, as the presumption is you have to leave to get ahead. Further contributing factors are multiple years of 0-2% raises and lack of budgeting priority to implement performance based salary increases or market based adjustments.